Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Durban Surf

For some reason, there are no time zones in South Africa. This is a country almost twice the size of Texas, that is much wider (east-west) than it is long (north-south). Durban is close to as far East in the country as you can go. Thus, when you are very far east, and there is no time zone, it gets light out VERY early. Especially as far away from the equator as we are. Its not yet the peak of summer, but its completely bright out at around 5:15 am. This early sunrise will continue all summer long, until it supposedly gets light out around 4 am.

This is yet another reason to love surfing in South Africa. Add that to the fact that its pretty warm, there is almost always good surf, they have shark nets, surfboards are cheap, and you'd be crazy not to at least make an effort to surf in this city.

Kylie and I went to South Beach early this morning. I do prefer the break at North Beach, but it was a big swell today, and I thought this might be beter for her. And it was. She caught several nice waves and rode them all the way in on her feet (not on her belly as she had done a few times in the past). Even turned a bit on her massive board. Getting better at surfing takes a painfully long time, and I have to imagine its even harder for girls (I am awaiting 'Cully is sexist comments' now). So when you have a good day, you have to note it.

2 Comments:

At 10/12/2005 01:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I suck and you know I suck, and now people I don't know know I suck. Sweet! Thanks Wiseman!

PS: I'm gonna have a headache tonight

 
At 10/13/2005 12:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spul,

You have become quite the writer - sexism and all. I have never heard of shark nets, or been chased by an elephant, I guess that is what blogs are for.

Victory, the Head and I are going to Nashvegas this weekend. It's too bad our old friend "Scott" from Habitat for Humanity is out of the country - so I hear.

Do you and Kylie really refer to each other by your last names?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home