Thursday, October 06, 2005

Timing

I am not sure what it is about living in developing country that prevents everyone from giving you an accurate statement on when something will actually be ready. Maybe I am jaded after having dealth with this truth in so many places, but no one seems to be able to tell you exactly when anything is going to occur. And by that, EVERYTHING occurs after the estimated time.

Currently, I am sitting at home, unable to go to work because the mechanic working on our car has yet to complete his replacement of our clutch. This was a job that was supposed to be completed yesterday at 2 pm. Wary that they would not actually be done by then, I asked if they were positive they would be done by that time. They said, "oh, maybe 2:30 or 3 pm." I should have known that this really meant "whenever the hell we feel like it."

So its the next day. They said that would have it done by 9 am today, but at this rate, I am hoping just to get it back at all today.

This lateness is prevalent in almost all aspects of South Africa life. Packages arrive weeks after the intended date, internet is installed sometimes months after due, and people complete tasks with built in factor of lateness.

This really wouldnt be so bad if people were just honest about when something would occur. Just tell me its not going to occur for 3 months, and I wont get my hopes up. But its like everyone is afraid to tell you, so they give you a terribly unrealistic time. Maybe I just need to add a considerable amount of time to any estimate, and maybe I wont be disapointed so often.

Until then, I get to sit at home while the mechanic takes his time in replacing our clutch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home