Sunday, October 02, 2005

Swiming, Rugby, Surfing, Breeze

So, within an hour of getting our amazingly fast and convenient wireless network set up, I managed to switch the settings to "Security Enabled Network" and locked myself out of the network. Kind of like locking your keys out of your car. So we spent the weekend without internet because I am a moron. But, I managed to redeem myself this afternoon by resetting the network to only 64 bit encryption, and allowing all three computers to have full access. Now I dont feel so dumb.

Had a great weekend in Durban. Took it easy Friday night (this is when I locked myself out of the network) and woke early to swim on Saturday. Still trying to swim often when we are not surfing. I can go about 30 minutes doing (mostly) freestyle and dont feel like I am going to die every lap. I can also now swim the length of the pool (25 m) underwater without stopping for air. I am too afraid of drowning in the Indian Ocean to not to keep swimming and training.

Then we met Anand and Anup (2 Americans living here) to go to the rugby game in Durban. We luckily ran into our friend Sergio. Sergio runs Lizzard wetsuits and is our neoprene dealer in Durban. He also had access to season tickets to the Natal Sharks Rugby games, and happened to have 2 extra tickets. So enjoyed great seats in the sun, watched the Sharks battle the Western Province Cheetahs. Unfortunately, the Sharks lost, but it was a fun game regardless. We then went back to Anup’s for a braai (which really just means barbecue in South African English). We dined on some tasty spiced up burgers, and collapsed into bed. Long day.

Sunday we were awoken by the bright sun (it gets bright here around 5:30 AM) and saw that the wind was favorable for surfing. So we lugged the boards down to South Beach and surfed for a few hours. We stayed toasty in our new Lizzard wetsuits. Am getting better at catching smaller waves (2-3 feet) on my small board (8’0”). Caught several good ones in time to turn down the line and ride the unbroken wave all the way in. Making progress, but I still would place myself at the bottom 2% of surfers in Durban.

Now it’s a lazy Sunday afternoon. Its turning into Spring here, so its warm, breezy and sunny out. We cleaned the apartment and now have all the windows open. Kylie is reading the Poisonwood Bible (GREAT book) and I am enjoying the wireless internet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home