Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Question

We met our new best friend Anand Reddi at Johnie Fox's Pub on a wild and crazy monday night. Anand is a Fullbright Scholar with a well crafted sense of humor and even better crafted teeth (seriously, they are hugeand blindingly white. He and Kylie admire each other's teeth most times that they meet. I am excluded from such pleasantries as my parents never got me braces). Johnnie Fox's is a bar just down the street from us, so Kylie and I walked and met Anand outside.

We had one of those nights that began with "Allright, lets just go out for 2 beers." It was afterall, Monday and we all had work the next day. However, simply saying these words somehow ensures that you will be out late, and inebriated by night's end.

So by beer 4 or 5, we had thoroughly discussed how beautiful Kylie and Anand's teeth were, and needed a new topic. We somehow got on to the topic of Paul Farmer, which morphed the conversation into a favorite among today's overly-educated agnostic: how should one live their life? This is obviously a gross oversimplification on a much more complicated issue, so let me explain.

This question really takes significance among people that are just out of college or deciding their career choice for the first time. We start asking questions like how much money should I make? What should I do with my career? my spare time? This question becomes crucial when we start to consider marriage and settling down. And we all fear not having any answere be the time our as of yet unborn children start to ask why its wrong to steal.

The question has a lot of significance for me as I start to pick my medical career. I am lucky to have a wide range of choices in front of me. I will relate two extremes. I could spend my life treating the poor, the sick, those with HIV in developing countries. Kind of the mother Teresa route. I would spend my life trying my hardest to make a real difference in the lives of the neglected and impoverished. I would likely live in a rural community, running a primary care clinic for those who would otherwise have no medical care. My community would love me and part of me would be truly fulfilled. However, with this option ubdoubtedly also comes a harder life. A life living in poor, dangerous places. A life with a very low income. I would be separated from my friends and family in America. If I could convince a woman to join me in this envutre, our kids would grow up essentially in the 3rd world. Their education and social development might suffer. And suprisingly, a this career choice would would demand very little respect in the medical field as I would be a lowly family practice doctor in a poor community, somewhere in some place no one has heard of.

Or, I could take a different route. I could settle down in a huge mansion on Lake Travis in the beloved city of Austin, Texas. I could be an orthopedic surgeon with a booming private practice. My patients would all be wealthy lawyers who needed their hips replaced and would talk about my surgical prowess with their families at the dinner table. I know this because my dad had recently had his hips replaced, and is a lawyer, and still talks about how great his orthopedic surgeon is. I would be loaded. I would have a boat and 4 jet skiis. My children would grow up on a dock, would be strong swimmers with blonded hair. They would be well adjusted and have stable friends from childhood in their hometowns. They would attend private schools and ivy league colleges. I would be well respected among my medical peers and people would be envious of the wonderful life of Dr. Wiseman.

Which one is right? Which one is ethical? Its hard to criticize either one. But in my eyes, they are radically different. The life on Lake Travis would neglect an entire population of people that suffer and die everyday. Yet, I would sacrifice so much of my life to take the more honorable route. I can argue myself in circles about this, and typically do. But it really boils down to this: how do you determine what is right? No answer seems to be correct. Just following your heart seems to say that anyone can just do what they feel. One could argue that Hitlar followed his heart as he organized the slaughter of thousands of Jews. Religon doesnt really give you a good answer, no where in the Bible, the Koran, etc, does it say how to resolve these issues.

So I am rambling on and on, and could talk and write for hours about this. But this drunken conversation with Anand and Kylie awakened a conflict within me that I had been neglecting during my time here in Africa. Its a conflict I will have to resolve to some extent in the next year or two as I decide my medical specialty. I invite anyone's comments. But really, I just wanted to share what has gone on in the back of my mind for sometime.

5 Comments:

At 9/30/2005 07:11:00 AM, Blogger Cully said...

You are so full of yourself.

 
At 9/30/2005 11:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Cully, i guess i shouldn't take your comment too personal. I think we all struggle with your question at some extense... I think you make it yourself quite difficult to only choose between two extremes.. in life there's always something like a 'golden mid-way'(middle path, as we Dutchies use to call it).. Why can't you choose for the best of both worlds? eg. Live in SA, have a good practice and be able to support the poor as well... or the other way around.. live in the US, do your thing what gives you fortune and combine it with projects for the less-fortunes... Anyway, there are so many ways to live your potential, just don't approach it too black/white, right/wrong..

and about the wife&friends issue; i'm sure you'll find (found?!) someone with who you can share your ideals and real friends stay friends, besides that your heart is big enough for new friends, which you can make anywhere!

 
At 9/30/2005 12:39:00 PM, Blogger Cully said...

I dont know, Kylie mentions more and more how much she misses her dog. I am crossing my fingers that she agrees to come back to SA with me after she goes home for Christmas break.

Really, I agree that some middle road is a bit easier to swallow than either extreme. My question remains, at what point on the spectrum of self-interest and self sacrifice do you choose? I liken it to winning the lottery. If you win 100 million dollars, how much do you give away?

So some might say that you should do what makes you comfortable. Well, I see problems with that assumption as well. Like I said before, Hitler probably felt comfortable with what he was doing. Which raises the deeper question, of whether there is a moral absolute or not. Is it wrong to live a life that is completely self-indulgent? Would it be right for me to choose my life of wealth if I suddenly felt comfortable about it? To me the answer seems to be no. I cant agree that its right in the grand scheme of things to assume that if you just do what you feel, all will be settled.

So, this arguement obviously moves in circles. Maybe someone can break the circle.

Regardless Kirsten, thanks for your comment, I had a feeling you would understand.

 
At 10/03/2005 02:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Anand Reddi sounds really cool. Is he single? I've always wanted to date a Fulbright scholar with nice teeth.

 
At 10/16/2005 12:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come home and we'll get you those braces!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home