Monday, September 26, 2005

The Weekend in Texas

I was glad to come home from camping this weekend to find out that Galveston suffered only minor damage from Rita. I am still not sure exactly what was damaged and what was not, but it sounds like many of the historic buildings downtown took a beating. Most tragically, it sounds like Yaga's was destroyed by wind, rain, and maybe fire? It looks like the brickwall that faces the square next to the building collapsed exposing the interrior. Found this sad picture of the Texas flag in front of the ruined Yaga's Cafe (see images below). Very sad. I do hope (and doubt) that anyone was inside when it collapsed. What bar will I attend when I come back for my 4th year?

Perhaps I can stick with an old favorite, the Poop Deck. Apparently, people stayed at this ocean side bar throughout the hurricane! This is hard to believe. You can throw a rock into the ocean from this bar. Its one of my favorites in town, and I spent my last 4th of July here. Several patrons apparently remained behind and rode out the hurricane while drinking Budweiser and cold Coors light. Sounds fun, but not likely the place I would have chosen for safety. I wonder if the drunk maintennance guy from UTMB was there?

Also, the Fraternal Order of Eagles apparently burned down. This was an old lodge akin to the Mason's (or Stonecutter's, if you are a Simpson's fan) that was turned into an art gallery. I actually attended a few parties here before it became a gallery.

Finally, it looks as though ACL was a huge success this year. I have been perusing the pictures, and it has been painful to see what I missed. Performances by Wilco, Coldplay, and a long, long set by Widespread Panic with Robert Randolph. Would have been great.

Regardless, I had an amazing weekend here in South Africa. Camping, hiking, night time frisbee, forrest canopy ziplines, and surfing were among the highlights. Will write more about it soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home