Monday, October 10, 2005

What I learned today

Drove up to Vulindlela today with Maloney, a social work student at the university. Was expecting another dull drive, but she was very talkative and interesting. I played her different songs from my new totally awesome mix CD. Very stupidly basing my intuitions about her music taste on the fact that she was a black South Africa, I thought she would definately have liked Jay-Z, Outkast, and the Beastie Boys. But much to my suprise, she liked Jack Johnson and Buena Vista Social Club the best. We talked about all sorts of things in the 3 hours of driving we shared and generally had a good time.

Maloney ended up being my translator for a very busy day at the clinic. We saw several patients, and I had to take all my own vitals which takes for ever. Seeing a patient in a research facility is a lot more time consuming as you have all kinds of forms and rules to follow. I miss a simple soap note on 1 piece of paper.

We saw one girl who was 14!!! I couldnt believe it! To make it even worse, she looked like she was about 7 years old. It was quite strange to be used to seeing so many HIV positive adults and then come across a child on antiretrovirals. She seemed pretty mature for 14, even if she didnt look like it. I carefully inquired as to how she contracted HIV, and she seemed to say she got it from birth. I didnt believe this, as she had only been on ARV's for 6 months, and most children born HIV positive die early on without treatment. Sadly, I think she must have been abused or raped at some point. But she had a pleasant disposition and it was so nice to work with a kid for a change. So easy to make them laugh and smile. I had to draw blood from her, and had to be extremely careful as she only had one vein that I could see. She was tough, and didnt even flinch. Luckily, I got it on the first try.

In the middle of the physical exam, another patient asked me (in Zulu, via Maloney as translator) if he could continue throwing up water in the morning while on ARVs. I also was very confused at this question. Luckily, Maloney explained that early morning emesis is a common Zulu remedy for many illnesses. Its prescribed by a Sangoma (a traditional healer, or witch doctor) and is apparently very prevalent. Sick Zulus apparently drink a large amount of water first thing in the morning, and then vomit the water up. They supposedly do this many times, and can swallow up to 15 liters of water in one morning. After having lived in Zulu territory for over 6 months (including previous visits) I had NEVER heard of this. Its called phalaza and I cant find much about it on the internet.

I was lucky to have Maloney as my "cultural translator." I find that even though some people may be able to translate between Zulu and English, I really need someone that understands both cultures in order to get anywhere. Zulu is a culture that is truly foreign to me, and I dont think I will ever totally understand it. Luckily, I have people like Maloney to help me along the way.

Had an amazing weekend on the game trail. Highlights included hearing hyenas outside our tent the last night, and being charged by an angry elephant. Will post lots of picutres and commentary soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home