Thursday, September 22, 2005

UTMB Evacuated, W.W.C.D.

According to the UTMB website, they have totally evacuated the entire hospital. This is hard to believe, but is apparently true. I think of what a strange site it must be to wander around the empty wards, normally filled with busy nureses and anxious medical students. The nursery that previoulsy held close to 100 screaming babies, is now totally silent and empty. I am quite impressed that UTMB pulled this off. I wish I could have been around to help, or at least witness it.

So I think if I had been in Galveston during this time, I would have first bought enoughfood, water, and candles to last me a month. Then my parents and friends would have forced me to evacuate. I would tell them I want to be around for the biggest storm since the 1900 hurricane. Then I would have realized how dumb that sounds, and would have likely reconsidered. But first, I would have begged UTMB to let me stick around and help with any medical emergencies that might arise during the storm. Sure, they would have laughed at me and said no (and they would have been right to do so, I would undoubtedly have gotten in the way). Even if they said yes, I again, would have realized how dumb this sounds, and would have made the journey up I-45.

In the end, I would probably have headed to Austin for Austin City Limits (I would have had a ticket anyway had I been around). I would have tried to take everything of value with me, but would likely have been forced to leave a lot behind. The fact that ACL will be amazing this year, would have likely placated my intense hurricane/emergency curiosity.

But instead, I am here. Trying to read articles about patients with low CD4 counts, checking the NHC every 10 minutes to see if Forcaster Bevin has anything new to say.

4 Comments:

At 9/22/2005 05:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cully! So all patients and doctors are evacuated? They let us go on tuesday night but I hadnt heard if all the E1 people whoever they are had to stay. I was going to go to ACL but I hear its probably being cancelled because supposedly when Rita hits, by the time it gets to Austin it will still be a category 1 hurricane- crazy- hope everything is going well

 
At 9/22/2005 06:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

W.W.C.D.

I ask myself this very question every time I seek the wisdom of a being much wiser than myself.

Where can I get a bracelet?

 
At 9/28/2005 06:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

W.W.C.D? perhaps I am slow... this means?

 
At 9/30/2005 03:12:00 PM, Blogger Cully said...

What Would Cully Do? Since I am not sure who made this comment, I dont know if you were around the states when the WWJD bracelets were a big hit among the aspiringgly pious. WWJD stands for "What Would Jesus Do" and was one of the most successful religious propaganda and guilt-induction campaigns to date. Any time you agreed to go have a beer with friends after work, one would glance at their wrist and realize that Jesus wouldnt have done this, so you decline or just drink water, or maybe wine? Jesus drank wine right? Not sure on that one.

WWCD is an uncreative adaption of this acronym.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home