Thursday, September 22, 2005

Galveston vs Rita

Well, Rita has broken my silence. Sorry for not writing for a few days, surfing in the morning has taken priority of the time I usually set aside to post here. I dont have time today, but I cant really think or read about much else other than this immense hurricane headed for my little island home.

So Rita is now a category 5 hurricane, making it the 3rd strongest (in regards to barometric pressure) hurricane in the Atlantic. Winds of over 160 mph and expected storm surge of 25 - 30 feet. This is a huge beast of a storm and its heading (at least right now) straight for Galveston. 3 weeks ago, I really thought it was Katrina that would strike Texas, but it curved wrecklessly into Louisiana like so many gulf hurricanes do.

Its a very strange feeling to be sitting here in my cubicle, in Durban watching history occur from thousands of miles away. I check the National Hurricane Center religiously. I feel I have forged relationships with Forcaster Stuart and Forecaster Bevin, who give me the lastest information on Rita's strength, size, and path.

I remember becoming obsessed with hurricanes when I first moved to Galveston over 3 years ago. I read voraciously about how they developed, the various prediction models, and how they monitor them with plans, satelites, and radar. But it felt so different when I was actually on the island, wondering if I would have to evacuate (I never did).

I think most all of my friends at UTMB have evacuated the island. I emailed a handful just to get an idea of what is happening there. Oddly, the current weather in Galveston is eerily clear and calm. Just hot like it always is. But people have told me about the mass exodus of the island and of Houston. I have seen pictures of I-45 backed up bumper to bumper. I also heard that many gas stations have run dry or shut down. Thanks to those of you who were able to write me back.

I also think of my house that lies only half a mile from the beach. A couple live there now, and have put up the storm shutters and sealed down the others. The husband works for the coast guard, and I think he cannot leave. I do hope the wife is able to make it out. I also wonder what will be left of that house in 3 days time.

Have so much more to say and wonder about. Will write again soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home