Saturday, January 07, 2006

Is it me, or is it hot in here?

Since I have been back in Texas, it has been unseasonably warm. It has not rained once, has really not even been cloudy, and we have had several days of highs in the 80's. I have been out mountain biking several times, and have gone in shorts and a sleeveless shirt each time. Its the first time I have worn flip flops throughout the Christmas vacation.

So while I am certainly enjoying the mild winter, I worry a little about what this means. I have been noting warmer winters in Texas anecdotally for years now, but this one tops them all. We have even had to turn on our AC a few times. Its JANUARY by the way.

First, the warmer weather creates a breeding ground for Atlantic hurricanes. 2005 has already brought us the most active hurricane season to date. Events like Rita and Katrina were obvious signs that this was a dangerous year for storms, but many people dont realize that tropical storms continued to form well into December, and even January. Thats right, tropcial storm Zeta was named on December 30th and is still going into 2006. Its the first storm ever to span to different years.

I have some serious concerns about what we are doing to our planet, and whether we are beginning to experience some of the early effects of global warming. As a child, I remember it often snowing on Christmas in Texas. I cant help but wonder if in the future, that will simply be unheard up in Fort Worth.

So for now, I'll soak up the warm air for few more days before I head back to South Africa, where its supposed to be summertime (and its HOT down there now). But I enjoy this weather with guarded enthusiasm and hope we can find a way to solve this energy problem before its too late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home