Friday, January 06, 2006

USC vs UT

The UT USC game on January 4th was likely the best college football game. Ever. When have 2 Heisman trophy winners played on the same side of the football, but were totally outshined by an opponent? I havent gotten to watch much college football the past few months. Beleive it or not, they dont cover it much in Durban. But watching this game with some good friends and cold beers made up for it. Sure, I might not be so excited about it had UT lost. But it was Vince Young's flawless performance and unyielding determination under pressure that made the game so fun to watch.

However, the excitment over UT's victory was not shared by all members of the Wiseman household. My dad, a former TCU football player, hates Texas with a passion. He lost to them for years and thinks they are crooked and evil. I say put those sentiments aside when you essentially pit the state of Texas vs the state of California against one another. Pride in the great state of Texas should trump old college rivalry in my book, but hey, dads are weird.

My brother, a USC senior about to graduate, was obviously pulling for the Trojans. However, He also was not all that enthusiastic of a supporter. This is coming from the guy who lived within walking distance to the USC field, had the opportunity for a season of student tickets, and maybe has gone to 2 games in his 4 years at USC. So while he was mildly disapointing, I think he was likely the least affected USC student currently enrolled at the school.

As for me, I tend to root for the underdogs. Especially when those underdogs are the Longhorns and the favorite is a cocky USC team. Its kind of like good versus evil to me. You always root for the good guys. I did, and for once, I was right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home