Sunday, November 20, 2005

Not the tallest

I found a brochure on "The Rock," Gateway's indoor climbing gym (just wrote about this below). They boast that they are the world's tallest climbing gym, at 22.5 meters (about 80 feet). Since I have climbed several times at what I always thought was the world's tallest climbing gym, I thought that this was likely incorrect. And it was.

After some quick research, I learned that Stoneworks Climbing Gym in Carrollton Texas has been confirmed as the world's tallest. I used to climb there often in high school. Its a 6 pack of old corn silos that are over 120 feet high. They cut walkways in the concrete and put holds up all along the inside. Its a pretty amazing place to climb with some really diverse and LONG routes. Its quite odd being at the top of a silo, 120 feet above the ground, barely able to yell down to the person belaying you below.

Anyway, as a proud Texan, I will be forced to confront the folks at the Gateway gym. Although their facility is nice and much more modern, its is 30 feet short of the tallest. Where I come from, that is called false advertising. They could likely boast being Africa's tallest climbing gym, but somehow, that just doesnt sound quite as impressive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home