Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Life Aquatic

I have never seen a more sea friendly city than Durban. So much here revolves around the ocean. Its one thing I have noticed and really admired about this city. Let me explain.

One of the first mornings I went out to surf at North Beach (I had NO idea what I was doing back then...) I remember feeling kind of cool to be out in the ocean, 200 feet or so off the shore on my board. I was out past the break, ready to catch some waves. Then a gang of 13 year old girls paddled by me, giggling about some boy. I realized I wasnt the only one floating around that area of the ocean. Suddenly I felt a little less cool. These girls were all paddling on Malibus. A Malibu is kind of like a surfboard-boat. Its long and shaped like a board, but you kneel on it, and really made for lifesaving. You can catch waves on it, but its really for fitness. Its very common for sea-friendly families to grow up training on a Malibu. There were about 20-30 girls, all training together, paddling parallell to the shore.

A while later, I noticed a group of heads swimming over and through the waves toward me. These people didnt even have a board, they were out past the break, simply going for a swim. When they got close to me, I realized they were all in their 60's. Suddenly, I felt a lot less cool.

Regardless, I am really amazed at how ocean oriented Durbanites are. They come to the ocean on long boards, short boards, body boards, Malibus, wave kayaks, fishing kayaks, sea kayaks, and of course, with just themselves. Its normal to me now to find myself surrounded by 20-30 surfers, a fleet of Malibu kids, some elderly swimmers, and the occasional dolphin when I head out to surf in the morning. Many times, I see the same kids getting dressed for school in the parking lot, with mothers or fathers either waiting, or changing out of a swimsuit themselves. And all this is usually well before 7 am. Except when they get in my way, its kind of cool to see all these people enjoying the sea so early in the morning. Kind of makes me wish I had grown up near the water. But I am near it now, and doing my best to be in the ocean as many days as weather and work will allow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home