Sunday, June 18, 2006

Back in Galveston

I am back in my beloved and simultaneously despised Galveston. The rest of the Morcocco, Spain, Portugal trip was amazing. Craig was a great travel partner and we saw and did a lot.

So its the end of my time in Africa for a while, but the work lingers on. My abstract was accepted to the 2006 International AIDS Conference in Toronto, Canada. I really wasnt expecting it to be accepted and thus planned my entire 4th year assuming that I would not attend. But of course, it was, and I had to make some major changes.

The first few months look a little like this:

Period 1: Move in, study for Step 2
Period 2: Actually study for Step 2, attend 2 wedding and the AIDS conference
Period 3: Emergency Medicine rotation at Denver Health
Sept 15, 16, 17: ACL Music Festival!!!
Period 4: Something easy...
Period 5:Trauma Surgery at UTMB

I should point out that period 1 and 2 are actually going to be pretty hectic. I have to move in, work at St. Vincent's arrange a complicated web of flights, trains, buses and car rentals to get me around between Toronto, Boston, and then back to Denver in time to start my rotation. Throw in the writing of a personal statement and running a clinic for the uninsured with 4 other medical students and you'd start to wonder how I would even have time to study for Step 2. In fact, I dont.

So now my question becomes: what happens to this blog. I am not in South Africa anymore and thus writing a blog called Sanbona doesnt make much sense. At the same time, I really want to keep posting ideas, thoughts, plans, even if no one reads it.

So I'll either keep writing here, or I'll start a whole separate blog to document my life as a 4th year medical student. We'll see.

Regardless, its actually nice to be back. Was sad to see my old medical school class graduate on June 3rd, but my new class is awesome and has been very welcoming so far.

Will be in touch!

2 Comments:

At 11/08/2006 01:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a dream last night that, after all this time, you had posted something new on your blog. I just had to look......Nope, nothing new. What a totally random dream.

 
At 11/19/2006 04:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Sorry for the random-ness of this post)…

Four months ago I posted on many blogs, letting everyone know that we were trying to start a podcast (Rabbit Hole Daily) by people who had emigrated to other countries…

I thought it would be interesting to share all of our “misadventures” and news… I had hoped to get a contributor to/from every continent (i.e., a Brazilian in Japan, a Japanese person in France, a French person in Australia, etc.).

People leave their respective home-countries for all kinds of reasons; some people marry a “foreigner” and leave their country, some people take a job or do academic research out of their country, some are forced to leave for political reasons, some do it for the adventure. The podcast was designed to welcome all of these points of view. We’ve been working with mixed success to get all types of voices…

Podcasts are a great way to get complex stories out that would never make it onto tv or radio, and we’d like to use the medium to create something that’s informative, eclectic, and interesting, all voices and topics welcome (provided they’re well-written)!

At any rate, I’m writing to renew my call for contributors and say that we’re still around. We were accepted by itunes, we’ve been publishing consistently, and although we’ve had some technical concerns (people write articles, read them into a mic, then get them to me via internet or skype; getting it all edited evenly has been a challenge), we’ve just received some equipment donations by listeners that will make it possible to produce with ever-better audio quality.

Please consider listening to the podcast, and more importantly, contributing articles. (Articles are 2-3 pages, submitted 4-6 times per year, contributors are featured on our “contributor profiles” page, rules for contributing can be found on the “contribute here” portion.) If you know someone who has emigrated from their country of origin and is a good writer, please pass the word!

Thanks!

Bradley.

www.freewebs.com/rabbitholedaily
rabbitholedaily@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home