Thursday, February 23, 2006

Earthquake in Mozambique

There was apparently an earthquake late last night around 12:15 am in Mozambique. It was a 7.5 and at least currently, there are no reports of serious damage. People reported feeling the quake in Durban, but if I was dead asleep. While I am a little disapointed, I suppose its a good thing. I'd rather sleep through a quake than wake up trapped by collapsed rubble. Still, this is like the 4th earthquake I have slept through. I do think it would be cool to feel one and watch it knock a few books off your shelf.

My dad is one of those types that reads or remembers dangerous events in the news and assumes that one is going to happen to me or my brother. Yet, he seems to overlook real dnagers like car accidents. When West Nile was all the rage, he harassed me about mosquitos in Galveston. Because of the 2004 Tsunami, he has been constantly worried about me getting swept away while surfing in Durban. I (incorrectly) told him that there was no seismologic activity near Durban. But apparently, the East African Rift System stretches at least as far south as the Mozambique channel. While this isnt exactly a dangerous place for earthquakes, I suppose I must now consider a tsunami generated by a quake in the Mozambique channel as a real possibility. Sometimes, those dads are actually right about a few things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home