Sunday, August 28, 2005

Near Miss(issippi?)

So Katrina likely wont be heading to the Texas coast. Will be yet another near miss. Regardless, its a scary thought that a category 5 hurricane will directly hit New Orleans. Very dangerous storm for a very vulnerable place.

Katrina still managed to stir up some good waves for those surfing the Texas coast. I stole this shot from the Surf Specialties Surf Report. I am jealous of Sheldon, TJ, Jake, Jeff (Cone, that is), and anyone else that will be enjoying this swell without me (I would love to hear about it guys). Yes, I know, I live in one of the world's greatest surfing cities. But there is something exciting about surfing hurricane generated waves in the gulf. Everyone gets excited and I get pummeled by breaks much taller than myself. Still, its a cool time to be near the beach in G-town. Even if you dont surf, I highly reccommend heading down to the seawall to take a look.

Speaking of the beach, check out this guy doing some sport that I dont even know the name of. Maybe its like kite skiing? Kylie and I sat at a beach side cafe in Umhlanga Rocks (pronounced oom-shlonga). We drank beers and coffee and watched kite surfers sail up and down the beach in front of us. Kite surfing has to be one of the coolest (and probably most difficult) sports there is. Then, we saw this guy sliding down the beach on sand skis. Not quite as exciting as the kite surfers, but certainly original. You obviously cant see it, but he is being pulled by a giant kite. Even the local South Africans looked perplexed.
So, I do actually do more than go to the beach and get my haircut here in South Africa. Monday I go back to work and will do much less exciting things like collect sputum and examine rashes. Important activities, but not exactly picture worthy. Its strange how much of my life revolves around sputum these days...

1 Comments:

At 8/31/2005 07:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Galveston did have great waves on Sunday, just FYI....But, by Monday afternoon the gulf once again looked like glass

 

Post a Comment

<< Home