Saturday, August 27, 2005

Hurricanes and Springboks

Much thanks to everyone who has responded so positively to my over-zealous email campaign on Friday. It was great to hear from so many of my close friends in the states and it was encouraging to hear such a positive response about this weblog. I hope to write emails back to all of you soon. You are all great and I appreciate every update, response, encouragement, and snide remark you send to me over here.

This morning, we watched the South African Springboks loose a heartbreaking match to the New Zealand All Blacks in the Tri-Nations Rugby World Cup (link to story). The Tri Nations is an international rugby tournament innvolving the 3 big teams in the Southern Hemisphere: New Zealand, South Africa, and Australia. I have harbored allegance to all 3 teams at various times, having lived or traveled in each country in the past. But today, I was all for the Springboks. Mainly because if they won the game today, they would win the entire tournament. But the All Blacks managed a try in the last few minutes of the game to keep the tournament going. Final score was 31-27.

Rugby is a big deal down here. There was a time back in the day when it was a big deal to me as well (I played for 3 years in college, and spent a semester playing for Murdoch University in Perth). There is something very exciting about international sport. It takes on an emotional investment that is often lacking in pro sports in the states. Could you imagine if the USA played Canada in football, and it was a close game? That is what these tournaments are like for most in these 3 countries south of the equator.

In news that might relate to those of you in the Lone Star State, hurricane Katrina currently has a 14% chance of hitting my beloved Galveston Island (Katrina strike probabilities). She has been gaining strength in the gulf and is heading west right now. They predict that Katrina will head NW into Louisiana, and I hope they are right. Not only because I want my UTMB friends to be safe, but because I have been waiting for a hurricane for 3 years now!!! So I leave the country and NOW one is heading our way!?!? I want to be there to surf the swell, enjoy the hurricane parties, and stand on the Flagship at a 45 degree angle while 100 mph winds keep me from falling forward! While I do love a good storm, I hope Katrina is a mild one and doesnt cause too much harm to anyone.

So much more to write about. Plus some cool pictures of kite surfers I took today. Should be posted soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home