Monday, September 05, 2005

Disconnect

Just as I did on September 11, 2001, I find myself in South Africa while one of the most tragic events in US history unfolds several thousand miles away from me. Its very strange to follow a story like this from a foreign country. I would have to imagine that Katrina has been a regular topic of conversation among most of you in the states. While I have followed it closely via internet news, other people's blogs, and by comments and stories emailed to me, I still feel like I am missing critical pieces of this event. First and foremost, I wish I could do something. I think when terrible events like this unfold, people instincitvely want to offer assistance (especially the all to0 altruistic medical student). Were I in Galveston, I would absolutely have been able to do so. I believe I would have made the short trip to the Astrodome and utilized what little medicine I know at this point in my career. While I think I would have genuinely enjoyed the experience, it sounded like they were initially underhanded up there (lisen to me refer to "up there" as if I were still in Galveston!). I feel rather helpless to do much when I am far, far away in South Africa (where they do have a few problems of their own).

But there is a disconnect in respect to understanding how these events fit into people's lives and personal view of the world. I was living in a small, rural community outside Durban when two planes flew into the World Trade Center. I will never forget trying to explain the magnitude of what happened to one of my South African friends. I tried to tell him that 200 soccer fields filled with people had crashed to the ground. This, all to a guy who had never been on a plane before or been to the top of a tall office building. So while I did have some additional perspective, I found myself wondering how my friends and family were reacting to this. Were they crying or just upset? Did they know anyone that had died? How did they fell about it all?

While I am in now way trying to compare the two events, I do feel the same now. I dont even have CNN here, and rely only on newpapers published online (and I dont feel like they even have half of the story). More importantly, I would like to hear how my friends feel about all this. Would also be curious to know if anyone made it up to the Astrodome to assist the New Orleans residence that were stationed there (I refuse to call them refugees).

1 Comments:

At 9/12/2005 08:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cully I am trying to say this with the most compassionate and empathetic heart but the medical students role at the astrodome is overrated. As students or even residents they require the real doctors to come back behind us and dont even care what we do because they have to do it all over again. Yet another frustrating problem with "the system." Although next month Im doing my outpatient pedi clinic in College Station and my doctor works with all the astrodome kids. So that will be a nice change and hopefully I will get to make some more trips up there and actually do some good. But they are moving them out of there by the thousands each day so their might not be any left when I get there but that will be a great thing for them.
And on another note, things here at UTMB are good. I went to our SIGHT meeting the other and it was great, they had Peter Morgan come talk about his peace corp work in Africa. It was a great talk, they had tons of pizza, and there were probally 50 people there. Hope things are well and have fun surfing for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home