Monday, October 17, 2005

Bad thing about living in South Africa #2

The radio is truly, truly awful.

When we dont have the trusty iPod to plug into the car stereo, we are forced to either listen to the sounds of traffic, or to the Durban radio stations. Its a toss up as to which we prefer.

When I say radio, I really mean the music. The DJ's are actually relatively entertaining. They seem like personable people with a decent sense of humor. That is what makes it so shocking when they play some of the worst music ever produced. Let me give you a quick example of some of the things they play.

  • Lots and lots of terrible pop hits like Brittainy Spears, Christina Aguilara, Backstreen Boys, etc. Not only do the play this stuff regulalry, they talk about it like its GOOD MUSIC. As if Brittany is some pioneer in music. They were all pretty pumped about the new Lindsey Lohan song.
  • They play old 80's music, but its not even good 80's music. For example, old Wham (the George Micheal band). But they play songs by Wham that I dont think were popular in 1984.
  • Terrible, terrible dance music. Our current favorite is a dance song that simply repeats "Today is the first day of the rest of your life"over and over again. I mean, seriously, who sets overused cliche's to a thumping base rythm.
  • Lots and lots of Micheal Bolton. I am reminded of Bob Slydell from Office Space saying "I celebrate his entire collection!" I wouldnt put this comment past those DJ's, they seem to love the Bolt-man.
  • There is an amazingly annoying trend in pop music here innvolving the use of Alvin and the Chipmunk's sounding voices in the background of songs. One is called "So Lonely" by some guy called Akon. Its terrible and all of South Africa seems to love it. I have noticed the Chipmunks singing back up trend occurring in awful pop songs. Much like the Cher voice wobble that infected bad radio songs in the 90's.

So, I am obviously exagerating and being particularly hard on them, but its something I have noticed here. Promise to write something positive next.

3 Comments:

At 10/17/2005 06:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, the chipmunk back-track "so lonely" song is a chart-topper back here as well. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

 
At 10/17/2005 08:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I like the "I'm so lonely song"...Try listening to the radio stations in Gaborone

 
At 10/25/2005 04:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

5FM or EAST COAST Radio. Love, your favorite genie in a bottle, Adamcito Lipito.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home